tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 19 16:19:01 2001

Saying (KLBC)

So... I have this pin, and it has a sentiment on it that seemed almost --
if not quite -- Klingon.  And so, as a next attempt at Klingon, I tried
translating it.

The original pin reads "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I
cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the weaponry to
make the difference."

I had no idea how to translate this, so I recast it as "May I have
calmness in order to accept events which I cannot change.  May I have
courage in order to change events which I can change.  Maybe I have the
weapons to make the first events into the second."  Which is rather
repetitive, but it does make the same point.

I then translated this into:

wanI'moH vIchoHlaHbe'bogh vIlajlaHmeH vIpongjaj.
wanI'moH vIchoHlaHbogh vIchoHlaHmeH toDuj vIghajjaj.
wanI'moH cha'DIch mojmeH wanI'moh wa'DIch nuHmey vIghajjaj.

It is highly repetitive, and it doesn't have quite the emphasis on the
weaponry that I'd wanted.  Unfortunately, this set of sentences is pushing
my Klingon as it is.  If anyone can fix them up, I'd like to put them on
my door -- in the correct form!

qalanIy

 .-./\/\  Teresa Jacobson
/   >^^<  [email protected]