tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 18 22:29:10 2001

Re: -vo'

In a message dated 1/11/2001 9:23:03 AM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> {-vo'} is like {-Daq} in that it gives the location reference of the verb,
> not to a noun without a verb. Some people refer to this as the "Cat in the
> hat" problem. Without a verb, you can't translate "cat in the hat" because
> {mIvDaq} gives the location of some action, not of the cat itself.

For "The man sees the cat in the hat" I have submitted {mIvDaq 'oHtaHbogh
vIghro' legh loD}.  But no one has approved this construction, to my
knowledge.

peHruS

Back to archive top level