tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 18 03:40:44 2001

Another idea about {-vo'}

Okay, THIS idea does not have any canon to justify it. It is merely an
interesting idea I'm sharing for anyone who might be intrigued by it. Until
there is more justification for it, I am not suggesting that I feel any
confidence at all about the idea.

We know that {ghoS} and a limited set of related verbs can have {-Daq} on
their direct objects or they can not have {-Daq} on their direct objects and
it is assumed that the direct object is being used as a location. {juH
vIghoS} means "I'm going home," even while the significant thing about
"home" is its location, not its substance. {juHDaq} vIghoS} means exactly
the same thing. {juHDaq jIghoS} has a the shifted meaning that you are going
somewhere and the entire trip is contained in your home.

What about {Haw'}? It seems to imply {-vo'} in the same way that {ghoS}
implies {-Daq}.

Would it follow that the following sentences would have the following
meanings?

tera' vIHaw'. "I flee from Earth."
tera'vo' vIHaw'. "I flee from Earth."
tera'vo' jIHaw'. "I flee and my entire flight occurs on Earth."

Does this have potential coolness, or what?

Can anyone think of other verbs that might work this way?

SarrIS

Back to archive top level