tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 11 14:01:39 2001

re: More proverbs

De'vID:
> qech Qub yab 'ej lajbe'laH, vaj nIvqu' yab.
>                       -- Aristotle
> ("It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain
>  a thought without accepting it.")

SarrIS:
: I apologize in advance for my nested relative clauses. I'm sure someone
: will object. This is just the way it came out:
:
: 'Itlh qech lajnISbe'bogh qelchu'bogh yab'e'.

Not bad: {'Itlh} "be advanced, be highly developed".  {nIv} "be superior" works
too.  I'm not sure what {-chu'} is doing there, however.  To consider an idea
is the same as to entertain it; they are synonyms, at least in my dialect.  Add
{-laH}, though, for being *able* to entertain the idea.

Still, Aristotle's point was that being able to entertain such ideas was how
one can identify an *educated* or trained mind, not merely an advanced or
clever one, which might come naturally.  This is something one generally has to
be taught how to do.

: Do not try this at home. If pain or swelling persists, discontinue use.

I think we need yet another relative clause (yikes!):

  'Itlh qech lajnISbe'bogh qellaHbogh yab'e' lughojmoHlu'bogh.

{yab lughojmoHlu'bogh} "a mind which someone has taught/instructed" -- on the
model of {to'baj 'uS lughoDlu'bogh} "stuffed tobbaj legs".  (You might add
{-pu'} to indicate that the teaching has been completed but, since Okrand
didn't think it necessary for the presumably completely stuffed tobbaj legs, we
can safely omit it.)

But we've again avoided Aristotle's point:  A mind able to entertain a thought
without accepting it is one of the signs of education.  {magh} "indicate,
reveal" works for this.  I think that since we have such a high-falutin'
sentence already, we might well venture a {-ghach}:

  yab'e' lughojmoHlu'bogh magh qech lajnISbe'bogh qellaHghach.

How's that?  (Anyone remember offhand what the original Greek was?)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level