tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 08 14:05:08 2001

Re: -vo'

"William H. Martin" wrote:

> We have the general sense that the locative noun refers to the location
> that a typical verb's action takes place. We know that for verbs of motion,
> like {ghoS}, {leng}, {jaH}, etc. this is true when the prefix shows no
> direct object, but that when the locative noun IS the direct object, then
> the motion has the locative noun as the destination.
>

> quSDaq jIghoS. I travel along a path on the chair. Maybe I'm skooching from
> one side to the other to make room for someone I like a lot to sit in the
> chair with me. The whole action occurs in the chair.

but could your sentece also mean, "I'm sitting in the chair (with wheels) and
scooting around"?
if so how could one disambiguate between the concepts?
pa'Daq quSDaq vIghoS. Is this sentence correct?

quS qoDDaq vIghoS. Maybe I'm climbing into a big chair....

Or must the "inside" refer to INSIDE , as like a bug digging into the
upholstery?
napqu' mu'vetlh, 'ach mumISmoHlaH.
                        pIl'o'

Back to archive top level