tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 07 19:37:15 2001

Re: the word `dative'

ja' Jiri Baum <[email protected]>:
>What I meant was that this is one of those words where translating the
>etymology really does help. It comes from the Latin word ``give'', so the
>paradigm example (case example, I guess) should involve that word.
>
>You will probably keep using the word ``dative'', but it's good to know
>where it comes from.

I see three real problems with using the term "dative" here.  First, it's
an unfamiliar term for most people who want to learn Klingon.  Second, it
only applies to a part of what the Klingon noun suffix {-vaD} can indicate.
Third, in its "indirect object" sense, {-vaD} is being used to indicate the
*recipient* of the benefit of the action, so the translated "giving case"
sounds backwards from what this particular Klingon meaning really is.

>And as a native speaker of an inflected language, it amazes me sometimes
>the convolutions people will go through to avoid saying ``suffix 5 is the
>case marker and -vaD is the dative case''.

It's not quite as simple as that.  In Klingon, many "cases" are indicated
by position [*] rather than by suffix, and there are times where a type 5
suffix isn't really a case marker.  Mainly, {-'e'} has no bearing on the
role of a noun in a clause, but on occasion other type 5 suffixes get used
on the subject or object of a relative clause.

The real trouble is that most people who speak English have no concept of
what a "case marker" is, and explaining Klingon using grammatical terms
which are most useful for a much more complicated language like Latin is a
bit intimidating.

-- ghunchu'wI'

[*] what some would call nominative, vocative, genitive, etc.

Back to archive top level