tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 28 10:36:07 2001

Re: Klingon WOTD: HoSDo' (n)

: Klingon word:   HoSDo'
: Part of Speech: noun
: Definition:     energy beings

Never used in canon.

I think everyone would agree that the Organians in their natural state are
{HoSDo'}.  Some have suggested the reason {HoSDo'} is glossed in the plural is
that it is often difficult, if not impossible, for corporeal beings to
determine how many {HoSDo'} are actually present at any given time.

Similar words include {Dep} "being (nonhumanoid)" - cf. also {bIQDep} "fish" -
and {yoq} "humanoid"

  yoq yIn yuQ 'oH Qo'noS'e'. yInSIp voQSIp je ngaS muDDaj.
  Qo'noS is a class-M planet with an oxygen/nitrogen atmosphere. (S27)

as well as the synonyms {ghot}

  reH tay' ghot tuqDaj je
  One is always of his tribe.
  ("A person and his house are always together"). (TKW)

  wey jolpat: wa' (jav ghotpu')
  Personnel Transporter - 1 (6 Man) (KBoP)

  ghotpu' tamey
  Personnel Files  (ST:Communicator)

and {nuv} "person (humanoid)"

  butlh ghajbogh nuv'e' yIHo'
  Admire the person with dirt under his fingernails. (TKW)

The difference between {ghot} and {nuv} is unknown.

It's also unclear to me how Klingons distinguish between {Dep} "being
(nonhumanoid)" and {Ha'DIbaH} "animal".  Since Okrand says that "meat of any
kind is called {Ha'DIbaH}, which is also the normal term for 'animal'" (KGT
p87f), are all {Ha'DIbaHmey} edible?  If so, what about {bIQDep} "fish"?  Does
{bIQDep} include all sea creatures, including crustaceans?  The only
unequivocal {bIQDep} I know of is the {norgh}, glossed "type of animal, a
sharklike sea creature" in KGT.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons