tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 27 23:37:12 2001

RE: Pronunciation [was RE: K'Zhen Zu-Merz]

I think we will just have to agree to disagree here.

> The mouth position for {w} is very close to the mouth
> position for {u}, so

I agree

> there's an extreme tendency for vowels to shift toward {u}
> preceding a {w}.

Yes I can see that and agree (even though I didn't understand that before)

> That doesn't mean that a {w} *makes* the {u} sound.

I agree. Since I have understood the mechanics of how the sound is produced
I have spoken up against that idea and actually tried to explain to anyone,
who may of misunderstood like myself.
All I had meant in my last email is that the sound heard is just a side
effect of the change of mouth movement between the {a} and {w} whilst
pronouncing the combination and just happens to sound similar to the {u}
sound.. I agree now that the {w} does not represent anything other than a
{w} even in a {aw} combination.  I'll not argue about whether that side
effct has or should have a label, that really could now just get in the way
of moving forward and is just a label after all.

> Dittofor {y} and {I}.

Ditto

> -- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Thanks again for assisting in my understanding of tlhIngan Hol
pronounciation.

qe'San

Back to archive top level