tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 27 16:41:08 2001

RE: Pronunciation [was RE: K'Zhen Zu-Merz]

ja' qe'San:
>...now sound it yourself very slowly and you'll feel as well as
>hear the vowel sound change  before getting to the {w} position.  That is
>all that is needed to classify the sound as a diphthong.

I do not share your threshhold of diphthong eligibility.  The vowel sound
often changes before getting to an {l} position, or to an {r} position, or
even to a {q} or {b} position.  That's just an accident of mouth movement,
and isn't reflected in the phonetic representation of the sound.

The mouth position for {w} is very close to the mouth position for {u}, so
there's an extreme tendency for vowels to shift toward {u} preceding a {w}.
That doesn't mean that a {w} *makes* the {u} sound.  Ditto for {y} and {I}.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level