tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 26 10:46:45 2001

Re: quraq's saying of the day-klbc

ghItlh qurap:
> I am trying to say "a true warrior turns a disadvantage into a advantage"

quljIb suggested:
: <<vangDI' SuvwI'na' majchoH ghu' qab>>
: "When acts a Warrior-True, good becomes a bad situation."
:
: A tad archaic-sounding, I know, but it works somehow...

Not bad, and an excellent use of {-choH} with a quality.  A more modern
translation would be "When a true warrior acts, a bad situation improves
(becomes better)."

The trouble is that, although we can say "NOUN1 changes" {choH NOUN1}, we don't
have an easy way to say "change NOUN1 into NOUN2".  In SkyBox card S33 came up
with the somewhat clumsy:

  boq lucherDI' tlhIngan wo' romuluS Hov wo' je So'wI' cham Suqpu'
   tlhIngan wo'. chaq tampu'. chaq romuluSnganpu'vaD pIvghor cham
   lunobpu' tlhInganpu'.
  Cloaking technology was gained through an alliance with the Romulan
   Star Empire, possibly in exchange for Warp Drive technology.

We are able to say "NOUN1 becomes NOUN2" {NOUN2 moj NOUN1} however.  A variant
of quljIb's version:

  vangDI' SuvwI'na' ghu' maj moj ghu' qab'e'.
  When a true warrior acts, a bad situation becomes a good situation.

Still a bit wordy.  But if we recast the sentence to avoid the problematic idea
of turning NOUN1 into NOUN2, we can say simply:

  ghu' qab'e' lo' je SuvwI'na'.
  As for a bad situation, a true warrior makes use of it too.

  ghu' qab lo' je SuvwI'na'.
  A true warrior also makes use of a bad situation.

Both of which can be rendered more colloquially as:

  A true warrior makes use of even a bad situation.

Words to live by... particularly when translating into Klingon.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level