tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 16 18:29:50 2001

Re: Help(KLBC)

RNButler wrote:
: I am trying to translate this saying
: You have nothing to fear but fear itself

Although not a direct translation, we do have what amounts to the Klingon
version of this saying:

  bIHeghvIpchugh bIHeghpu'
  If you are afraid to die, you have already died. TKW

Looking through my notes on {-vIp}, I found this very nice statement by
Seqram he posted a while ago to this list:

  It is significant that {-vIp} is a suffix and not a verb: it shows
  that in Klingon the emphasis is placed on the result of fear.
  Specifically, you can't just "fear" in a vacuum: you have to be
  afraid to do something in particular. It shows how "being afraid"
  is viewed by Klingon-speakers..."

Good advice, though he overlooked the verbs {Haj} "dread" and {lIm) "panic".

Finally, consider your saying from the other side and recasting it with
{ghIj} "scare", used several times by Okrand:

  jaghpu'lI' DaghIjjaj!
  May you scare your enemies! PK

  qo'mey Sar charghtaHvIS chaH Dat tlhIngan may'Duj luleghDI' neH qIb
   nganpu' buQpu' may'Duj 'ej ghIjpu' 'oH. nIteb ghIjpu' je Deghvam
  this symbol grew to become as feared throughout the galaxy as the
   menacing profiles of their battlecruisers. SP1

  not qoHpu''e' neH ghIjlu'
  Only fools have no fear. TKW

  vay' DaghIjlaHchugh bIHoSghaj
  Fear is power. TKW