tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 16 10:43:30 2001

qep'a' veb / Hov leng muchmey

1) ghaytanHa' qep'a' veb vIjeS 'ach leng Huch,
mebpa'mey Huch, Soj Huch, muvpu'ghach je vItaymoHchugh,
vIjeSchugh Huch 'ar vIpoQ?
puH Hopqu' 'oH Brazil'e' 'ach wa' jaj qep'a' vIjeS vIneHqu'.
muQaHlaH'a' vay'?

2) jIHvaD tlhIngan Hol QIchmey 'angbogh 'op Hov leng
muchmey'e' ngu'laH'a' vay'?

pab vuD: why people in this list tend to assume that a verb is
intransitive when Marc Okrand doesn't show its regency
explicity? I don't agree with the use of (-Daq jIjeS) because
it sounds like a word-by-word translation from English.
Different languages have different verb regencies. My native
language, Portuguese, uses the word "de" for the verb
"participar", so "participar de" is like saying "participate of".
It may sound odd for native English speakers, but (-Daq jIjeS)
sounds as odd for me. When a native English speaker uses
(-Daq jIjeS) it seems to me that the person is considering it
only from his own point of view, and not from the point of view
who observes the true idea of that word. I remember that I've
read once that (-Daq) has spatial sense only. I can participate
in a party or in a meeting, or in any event, but "party", "meeting"
or "event" shows no spatial sense for me. These are abstract
concepts. To me, it sounds as wrong as (Doch vIjatlh), which
mixes up abstract and concrete concepts. Maybe I'm
wrong but its just my opinion.

By the way I don't like the way SarrIS expresses his opinion.
About one and a half year ago he, then charghwI', was extremely
rude to me when I, then nuvnov, talked about a very delicated
subject about me.

roj!
(mu'vam mIgh vIlo' jay')

===