tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 15 03:46:23 2001

Re: K'Zhen Zu-Merz

 >> > we haven't seen {wn} in one syllable either...
 >> > but it's his name...
 >> >
 >> >                                            Marc Ruehlaender
 >> >
 >> I was thinking of it more as:
 >> >
 >>      | b | e | ' | r | aw | n |
 >> >
 >> basically as I believe/d aw is mentioned in TKD as acting like a vowel
 >> itself eg it can take a glottal stop after the <w> in <aw> which
  it cou>ldn't

 >> do without the <a>(e.g. chImlaw')
 >> >
 >>      aw = ow as in English cow
 >> >
 >I probably should let the BG sort this out, but as I started talking
 >about it...
 >
 >common wisdom, as I understand it, is that Klingon syllables are
 >
 >either CV (consonant vowel)
 >or CVC (where aw etc count as VC, *not* as V)
 >or CVw' or CVy' or CVrgh
 >
 >with the additional restriction that w, w' don't follow o, u
 >
 >so be'rawn separates into syllables as be'-raw-n or be'-rawn,
 >but neither n nor rawn are "valid" syllables in the sense that
 >they follow this descriptive set of rules.
 >
 >                                           Marc Ruehlaender

 I understand the CVC norm, with the odd canon exceptions.  I'm not suggesting

 this is an exception
 but rather that TKD suggests, to me, that <aw> is treated as the vowel..  My

 belief is backed up as
 <'> is a consonent which unless it is an exception idicates that if the <law'>

 in chimlaw' is a CVC and
 not a CVCC.   If it's not an exception then the <aw> construction is  surely

 being treated as a vowel.
 Don't get me wrong I'm not saying I  know, it's just how it appears to me.

 qe'San

Back to archive top level