tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 12 18:15:09 2001

Re: K'Zhen Zu-Merz

ja' HomDoq:
>to me, "Gennie" has a short "n" and a short "i", whereas
>{jennIy} has both long;...

jumqu'.  I would have said that "Gennie" has both long, and I pronounce
{jennIy} almost exactly the same way I pronounce "Gennie".

>as the last syllable would usually
>get the stress, I might say {je'nI}, although it's possible
>a Klingon will hear "Gennie" with a "normal" stress on the
>{nI}

The "ie" at the end of "Gennie" is certainly not a short "i" as in "fix",
which is how I'd pronounce the last sound in {je'nI}.  The apostrophe
you've tossed in represents a sound that isn't present at all in "Gennie",
and I have no idea why you put it there where {n} should obviously be.

>{SammarSe'} puts the stress on a syllable that isn't even
>there in "Summers",

I tend to stress all three syllables of {SammarSe'} about equally.

>and I don't hear an {a} in "-mer";
>(I hear a Schwa, which Okrand seems to transcribe with {I}
>(right?), which he also uses to fill consonant clusters with
>vowels, so one might argue for {Sa'mIrIS})

I think it's basically a matter of auditory preference whether one fills
out the consonant clusters with extra vowels preceding or following them
when transliterating.  SarrIS obviously hears an extra vowel at the end as
being less obtrusive than one at the beginning.

And again, why did you replace the {m} sound with {'}?

(By the way, in the last syllable of "Summers" I hear not a schwa, but an
extended "r" sound that I think is labeled a "rhotive".)

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level