tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 12 10:30:47 2001

RE: Klingon WOTD: Hoq (n)

>> Klingon word:   Hoq
>> Part of Speech: noun
>> Definition:     expedition

Voragh:
> Related nouns include {leng} "trip, voyage, trek" and {jey} "itinerary".
> Cf. also {Qu'} "quest, mission" as well as {Hoqra'} "tricorder".

De'vID:
: {Hoqra'} "tricorder" sounds like "expedition" + "command (v)", {Hoq} +
{ra'}.

I imagine that Okrand considered a tricorder something to be used on an
expedition.  In fact, that was how they were generally used in TOS: on away
missions.  In ST3 we saw Kruge et al. using a Klingon tricorder on the Genesis
Planet.  Later in TNG-DS9-VGR, tricorders (and PADDs) are ubiquitous aboard the
ships and DS9 perhaps due to their smaller, more convenient size, so they are
no longer a strictly expeditionary instrument.

Does anyone remember seeing a TNG-era Klingon tricorder in use?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level