tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 12 06:37:02 2001

Sonnet CXVI

Just in time for Valentine's Day, I've translated (*ahem* restored) one
of Shakespeare's love sonnets.  I tried looking for it first, since I
figured the Klingon Shakespeare Restoration Project has probably done
it already, but I couldn't find it, so here it is.  If someone could
point me to where I can get a copy of the KSRP's translation of this
sonnet if one exists, or how I can submit this to the KSRP if they
haven't done this one yet, I'd appreciate it.

I've tried to keep the rhyming scheme as much as possible.  I think
I only broke the pattern with {poH}/{Qo'}, but I couldn't think of an
alternative at the moment.  I welcome suggestions and would love to hear
your comments!  I think it needs a lot more work before it's KSRP
calibre.

Sonnet CXVI (116):

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
	Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
	Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
	That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
	Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
	Within his bending sickle's compass come:
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
	But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
	I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

tIq chang'engna' tlhogh botlu'
	'e' vIchaw'Qo'.  parmaqna' 'oHbe'
choHbogh parmaqqoq'e' choH tu'lu'DI'qu',
	qoj teqlu' net chIDDI' 'ombe'.
Qo'!  reH ngaDqu' Quvna''e' 'oH;
	jevqu'taHvIS ratlh 'ej not vIHmoHlu'.
Hoch lengtaHbogh DujmeyvaD Hov 'oH,
	jen 'e' juvlaH, 'ach lo'laHghach Sovbe'lu'chu'.
wuS Doq qevpob Doq je nge'laH poH,
	'ach poH qoH 'oHbe' parmaq'e'.
qaSpu'DI' repmey Hoghmey ngaj je choHQo',
	'ach 'u' Qaw'lu'pu'pa' Dejbe'.
Qaghchugh qechvam 'ej jIQagh 'e' toblu',
	vaj not jIqon, 'ej not parmaq tu'lu'pu'.

--
De'vID