tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 08 19:16:03 2001

RE: -oy

> De'vID wrote:
> : How would I add {-oy} to a word that ends in a vowel. e.g. {ghu} "baby"?
> : *{ghuoy}?
> : {ghu'oy}? (But this sounds like "dear situation"! {{=) )

Voragh:
> {ghu'oy} 'oH.

'e' vIpIH.

> Marc Okrand on {-oy} in the TKD Addendum:
> [...]

I knew I remembered something like that.  But has there subsequently
not been any examples?

> : (I'm just translating some phrases from Austin Powers for my girlfriend.)
>
> WARNING: If you're using {ghu'oy} to refer to your {parmaqqay} and not your
> infant child, then it is a private {bang pong} and thus quite different from
> Austin Powers' casual epithet "baby".  Be *very* careful never to
> call her this in public if you value your relationship.

bang pong 'oHbe'bej.  "Austin Powers" wIbej 'ej jIqIDmeH jatlhlu'DI'
tlhIngan Hol jatlhwI'vaD vImugh.  be'pu' per Austin, jatlh "baby".
vImugh 'e' vInID 'ach vImughlaHbe'.

ghaytan not latlhvaD <<baby>> pong tlhIngan.  (ghuna' ghaHbe'chugh.)

> Considering how differently the two societies use pet names, I imagine this is
> one of the major sources of misunderstanding between Terran-Klingon couples.

Didn't Jadzia and Worf used to call each other pet names in public?
Or is my memory playing tricks on me?

--
De'vID

rolIjDaq pob tu'lu'qu'; Ha'DIbaH Darur!