tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 25 22:55:19 2001

RE: fem warrior

> <<be' SuvwI'>> can mean, in my view, "warrior who is part of the class of
> women". But this is also a problem which I have had: how does one
> translate sentences of possession?

In physics they try to come up with a universal law that works with
everything.  Samething here; instead of treating N-N as two possible cases,
I use one rule.

N1 N2 - of all the N2's out there, this is one that has to do with N1.

be' SuvwI' - of all the SuvwI' out there, this is one that has to do with
be'; whether it IS a female or BELONGS to a female comes from context.

HoD taj - of all the knives out there, this is one that has to do with the
captain.

qor HoD - of all the captains out there, this is one that has to do with
Kor.  Whether it is his captain or his title comes from context.

Sor Hap raS - of all the tables, this is one that has to do with wood.

Sure, some could talk deeper about this topic, divide it into subsections,
create multiple meanings and rules; or you can keep it simple, like the way
klingons have only Nouns, Verbs, and "Everything else".

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level