tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 16 12:55:58 2001

Re: list of Klingon puns?

Russ Perry Jr wrote:

: {leSpal}? Oy! I'd heard that Okrand was a punster, and I've noticed

{'oy'} "ache, pain, sore" (n.); "ache, hurt, be sore" (v.) vs. {'aw'} "sting"
(v.)

: a couple of them (rootbeer for instance, though I can't seem to find
: it online right now -- {'awje}?).

{'awje'} "type of beverage (root beer)" KGT

: But, is there a canonical list of them anywhere?

People new to the list often ask this (shouldn't this be in the FAQ?)  We've
considered maintaining one online, but decided against it because 1) we're not
100% certain of all of his puns, jokes and plays on words, and 2) that would
spoil the fun of discovering them for yourself.

Certainly many of us have our own lists of Okrand's puns; if you ask, I'm sure
some of them would share them with you.  But I would counsel against this; at
least, not until you've made an effort to discover them yourself.

Feel free to post them here on the list as you come across them.  Most have
probably been recognized before, but a new member often notices new things.
Okrand can be quite devious and some of his jokes are very specialized and not
at all obvious or, at least, not to all of us.  In fact, even us old-timers
still find new (old?) puns that we've never realized before.  For instance:
never being a fan of rock music, I didn't get {leSpal} until someone explained
it.

'oy' DaSIQjaj!  Qapla'!

--
Voragh