tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 27 14:03:43 2001

Re: tlhIngan Hol vIlo'pu', 'ej tev vInge'pu'

Joel wrote:
: My images often use a Biblical text (Daniel 12:3 this year.)  As I was
: adding a border with Latin, English and Hebrew versions, I decided to
: quickly add a rough tlhIngan Hol

Let's try this...

  ve-hamaskilim yazhiru ke-zohar ha-raki'a u-matsdike ha-rabim
  ka-kokhavim le-'olam va-'ed  (Hebrew)

  Qui autem docti fuerint, fulgebunt quasi splendor firmamenti;
  et qui ad justitiam erudiunt multos, quasi stellae in
  perpetuas aeternitates. (Latin [Vulgate])

  And those who are wise shall shine like the brightness of
  the firmament; and those who turn many to righteousness,
  like the stars for ever and ever.  (English [RSV])

Actually, this looks fairly do-able at first glance - if we use our all-purpose
{quv} "be honored" for "righteous":

  boch valwI'pu'; chal wov lurur
  'ej [boch] ghotpu' law' quvchoHmoHwI'pu'; reH Hovmey rurtaH.

Note that the verb *yazhiru* {boch} "they shine" applies to both clauses, which
is tricky to do in Klingon with a subordinant {rur} clause.

Another way of doing this would be to front the subject and tag it with {-'e'}:

  'ej ghotpu' law' quvchoHmoHwI'pu''e', reH Hovmey rurtaH.

which is still a bit wordy.  Both versions loses some of the parallelism due
the change in verb prefix.  Dropping {'ej} and adding the pronoun {chaH} might
help with this:

  boch valwI'pu'; chal wov lurur chaH.
  ghotpu' law' quvchoHmoHwI'pu''e', reH Hovmey rurtaH chaH.

though doing so adds an emphasis not in the original.  BTW, {reH ...
[VERB]taH}, even if somewhat redundant in Klingon, seems ideal for rendering
the formulaic phrase "for ever and ever".

Hmmm... perhaps a more Klingon viewpoint would be to favorably compare
{quvwI'pu'} "those who are honored" with {quvchoHmoHwI'pu'} "those who cause
someone (else) to become honored":

  boch quvwI'pu'; chal wov lurur.
  'ej ghotpu' law' quvchoHmoHwI'pu'; reH Hovmey rurtaH.

: (okay, targh Hol, I used my UTA program) version.

So how did your UTA program translate the verse into {targh Hol}?

: Though not a good translation, it must have been good for
: something - this year I got a first prize.

tev DaQappu'mo' qaHoy'.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons