tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 30 20:06:12 2001

Re: Dictionary Programs?

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Alan Anderson wrote:
> "...Paul" <[email protected]> writes:
> >I'm sure there's one out there...  So can anyone recommend a Windows
> >utility for assisting in the translation of Klingon to English and
> >vice-versa?
>
> I cannot recommend *any* computerized translation utility for casual use.
> They're entirely too convenient for a beginning student's own good. :-)
>
> I started using one a year or so after I began learning to speak Klingon,
> and found that my progress in gaining vocabulary came to a complete halt.
> I eventually threw away my copy of mu' HaqwI' and started looking words up
> in a printed dictionary again.  It was only after I felt confident of my
> ability to converse without a dictionary that I let myself use a
> computer-based one again, and then mostly as the equivalent of a Klingon
> "spell-checker".  For that, I think d'Armond's {pojwI'} is quite useful.
> (I actually prefer my own custom Klingon word-analysis program, since it
> works with a lexicon that's a simple export from my carefully-maintained
> vocabulary database.)

Wow, I had the complete opposite experience.  Because I could look up
words in the dictionary so much faster, I *wrote* more, and because I
wrote more, I started to remember more, especially the suffixes and
prefixes...  In fact, I think I remember the suffixes and prefixes more
than I remember the actual words...

But to be sure, I had to have a reason to use it, and at the time, the
MUSH was where I was using it oh-so-often...

...Paul

 **        Have a question that reality just can't answer?        **