tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 29 23:18:23 2001

Re: MUSH

We really need to have an online "place" to congregate again. There is no
shortage of technologies.  In fact, the problem is that there are too many.
 With half a dozen people promoting different venues, we end up with one
person in each.

MUSH - High set up overhead, medium maintenance overhead, for the host.
Medium-high difficulty to set up and start the program and character for
new users.  Gives the illusion of a physical place, allowing stories and
adventures to take place.  It is possible to learn from the MUSH even when
no one else is there.  We know this worked.  It was taken down after a
server problem.  How much work/expense involved in replacing it?

IRC - Hosted by IRC servers.  Minimal set up overhead for host.  Medium
difficulty to install and set up program for new users.  No sense of place.
 Nothing to do if no one else present.  There is apparently a Klingon
channel now at klingon.kdfs.net on channel #tlhIngan.  I didn't install an
IRC client just to check this out, so I don't know the use it gets.

Web-based Java chat - Medium overhead to set up for host.  Minimal
difficulty for users.  Some people may not have computer equipment capable
of participating.  Not as deep an "environment" as the MUSH.

Others have mentions the KIDC forum at Yahoo and the Delphi chat forum.

In my opinion we hould have a a chat utility accessible through a link on
the KLI site.  If the capacity of our servers, our webmaster joq can't host
one, then a link to one of the others.

Theoretically we could have a real time interactive audio/video/text
environment.  I don't have a microphone or a video camera myself, so I
prefer the text.
Qov

Back to archive top level