tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 20 11:15:51 2001

RE: KLBC - nuqneH

Welcome to the list, yeygha'! I'm taD, the current Beginner's Grammarian.
Since you obviously know about using KLBC, I'll skip that part of my intro.
Also, if possible, you should also include what you were trying to say, in
English. This will make it easier for me to make sure that you say what you
are trying to say.

yeygha' said:

> nuqneH. yeygha' 'oH pongwIj'e'.

maj.

> "Arizona" DuSaQ'a'Daq vIjaHlI'.

This sentence is grammatically correct. However, the verb {jaH} most likely
only means "go" in the literal sense (i.e., from one place to another). So
if you're walking to your university right now, it would be fine to use.
However, for the more general idea of "attending school", you could say:
{"Arizona" DuSaQ'a'Daq jIHaDlI'} "I am studying at Arizona university."
Or, rather than {HaD} ("study"), you might use the verb {Qul} ("research").
Note that since you've used the verb suffix {-lI'} ("in progress"), you are
emphasizing that the action is progressing towards a stopping point (such as
graduation).

> Hol'a'mey viHaDtaH. mI'Hommey De'wI'Hommey je vIHaDtaH je. Qapla'.

There's a problem here with the way you've used the noun suffixes {-'a'} and
{-Hom}.
The noun suffixes {-'a'} and {-Hom}, like other noun suffixes, modify nouns.
So {Hol'a'mey} means something like "important/super languages", and
{mI'Hommey} could refer to individual digits or something not as significant
as a regular number.
I'm guessing that you wanted to say that you are studying languages in
particular, and minoring in numbers (mathematics) & computers. If you are
majoring & minoring in something, you are studying more for one subject, and
studying less of the others.  In this case, the things that you are studying
aren't necessarily "bigger/important" and "smaller/insignificant".

So in this case, you would want to modify the verb of the sentences, rather
than the nouns. For example, you could say "I study languages. I also study
numbers and computers *a little bit*."  For the "a little bit" part, you
would use the adverbial {loQ} ("slightly, a little"):

{Holmey vIHaDtaH.} "I am studying languages."
{loQ mI'mey De'wI'mey je vIHaDtaH je.} "I am also slightly studying numbers
and computers."

For vocabulary, you could also include the word {QeD} ("science"). Rather
than {Holmey} ("languages"), you are probably studying {HolQeD}
("linguistics") in general. You could also use something such as {mI' QeD}
("number science") and {De'wI' QeD} ("computer science").

A good introduction. majQa'.

- taD