tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 06 20:01:09 2001

RE: poS ghopwIjDaq ghItlhqa'lu'chu' vIneH / tattoo

{quv} is both a noun and a verb. {batlh} is both a noun and an adverb. So
far as we know, there is no difference in meaning between the noun {quv} and
the noun {batlh}. The only difference is in the grammatical function of the
homonyms of these two nouns.

> I  prefer the modern pIqaD's swoopy, scimitar-ish lines, since to
> the non-Klingon
> it might look like Arabic or Hebrew writing. To me the old
> officers' font looks
> like a tiny bunch of kites, as if the marks were made by a wedge
> edged stylus
> squished into clay or something. Both styles are beautiful, but
> I've always
> preferred decorating my things by sculpting or embroidering the
> former more than
> the latter.
>  mIwvetlh vISIQmeH 'eb  vIloStaH.
> until I find a prettier word with very significant meaning. Suggestions?
> pIl'o'

Well, {HoS} looks as much like "oil" as {batlh} looks like "key". If you can
squeeze in five gliphs, there's always {tlhIngan} or even {pIqaD}. {'IH} has
an interesting shape.

You could always make it an inside joke and use {poS}. If I were in your
condition (pretatooed), this is the one I'd go for. It would be useful in
contra dances; an aid to a dyslexic Klingon.

Lesser jokes would be {ghop} or {chap} or {ro'} or {DIr}.

You could make it a tribute to our single link to the warrior tongue:
{matlh}.

I've never been tatooed because I've never found anything of dependably
permanent significance.

ghaytan jIchoHbe'taH. paSlaw' 'eb.

SarrIS

Back to archive top level