tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 03 09:23:46 2001

RE: quraq's proverb klbc

quraq said:
> Doch Qaw' Doch SeH
> To Destroy a thing is to control a thing.

taD:
: This is a good attempt. Unfortunately, although we can say that one noun is
: another noun, in Klingon, we can't say that one verb is another verb.
: However, you could rephrase the English sentence so that the verbs are used
: as verbs. For example, try rephrasing it as this in Klingon:
: "If you can destroy something, you can control it"

Good advice.  Here's a perfect example with {Qaw'} from KGT:

  SuyDuj DaQaw'chugh qagh DaHoH
  If you destroy the merchant ship, you kill gagh.

("Killing gagh" is an idiom, referring to a person who's doing something
counterproductive [KGT p.118].)

Another very Klingon approach is to rephrase your proverb in the imperative:

  (In order) to control a thing, destroy it!

FYI: here's yet another, more complicated, example from TKW:

  noH QapmeH wo' Qaw'lu'chugh yay chavbe'lu'
  Destroying an empire to win a war is no victory
  ["if one destroys an empire (in order) to win a war, victory is not
    achieved"]

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons