tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 02 14:07:54 2001

RE: ghur

reH lugh Voragh net Sov. majQa'.

pagh

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Boozer [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Monday, 02 April, 2001 12:57
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: ghur

pagh wrote:

: * - Is the thing that increases the subject or object of <ghur>? Is it
<ghur
: Huch vIHevbogh> or is it <Huch vIHevbogh ghur pInwI'>? Unless we have a
: canon example, we are probably left to wonder...

We do have an example, describing the disruptor rifle's (nISwI' beH)
extended
power supply stock, or {naQ}:

  SuvwI' vI' Dub naQvam 'ej ray' HopDaq bachlu'meH chuqna'
   ghurmoH naQvam
  This serves to steady the aim of a warrior and increase the
   effective range for distance targeting. (SkyBox S14)

So, intransitive: {ghur X} "X increases" vs. transitive: {Y ghurmoH X} "X
increases Y".

I assume {nup} "decrease" and {Sach} "expand" work the same way.  We have
only
one example of the latter:

  mataHmeH maSachnIS.
  To survive, we must expand. TKW