tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 25 16:00:01 2000

tera'ngan Holmey rurHa''a' tlhIngan Hol

> I, too, do not have proof upon which languages Marc Okrand
> based Klingon. I have heard that it deliberately is supposed
> to be unlike any known language here on Earth.  Of course,
> we are influenced by what we know. I have also heard that he
> likes Salish (Kootenai) a lot.  I personally have discovered
> some direct take-overs from Mayan, Quechua and Aztec.  Some
> of the structure seems to be a lot like that of Navajo.

It is my understanding that Klingon's OVS structure is unlike that
of any natural Terran language. Many of the other elements of Klingon
are extremely foreign to speakers of Germanic or Romance languages,
but do occur in other natural languages: Japanese uses adjectives which
are conjugated like verbs, and signifies plurality by context
(usually); Turkish uses a structure similar to {-meH}, and can
attach a myriad of suffixes to a verb; many Native America
languages use subject-object pair prefixes, though many are more
specific than those in Klingon (e.g. inclusive vs exclusive "we");
Arabic has <noun><noun> possessive form; and there are natural
languages which indicate aspect rather than tense.

Which direct borrowings from Mayan, Quechua & Aztec have you found
in Klingon?

Back to archive top level