tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 22 17:17:30 2000

{-meH}

Reading HolQed 7.2 (how do I say "vol.7 issue 2" in Klingon?)" I
realized that my concept of {-meH} was inaccurate: I had seen it as
creating solely a separate clause.

charghwI' a.k.a William Martin gives an example: {Qu'vam ta'lu'meH
nuH lugh wIvnISlu'}. I would have interpreted this as "in order for the
task to be accomplished, a correct weapon needs to be chosen",
but I now perceive that, similarly to some Asian languages,
{Qu'vam ta'lu'meH} can be a qualifier of {nuH}, changing the
interpretation to be "a correct for-the-task-to-be-accomplished
weapon needs to be chosen".

The other example which charghwI' gives is {Qatlh qechvam
vIQIjmeH Qu'} ["The for-explaining-this-idea task is difficult"], as
opposed to {vIQIjmeH Qatlh qechvam} ["This idea is difficult for
explaining"], which implies there is an intentional nature to the idea
being difficult in order to benefit the explaining. While I can realize
the difference when presented with it, I've not yet had enough
exposure to Klingon usage to have arrived at this understanding on
my own.

I'm sure this is not news for the people here, but for me, having
only recently begun to study Klingon, it opens up possibilities.

Back to archive top level