tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 21 05:25:21 2000

RE: KLBC: SanuQmeH jabbI'IDghom vIchegh.

jatlh tuv'el:

> KLBC: SanuQmeH jabbI'IDghom vIchegh.
> "I have returned to the list to bother everyone."

bIDoghba' - junuQbe'.
Glad to have you back!

> jIqImbe'pu'mo' DaHjaj ghu' vISovbe'.
> "Because I haven't been paying attention, I don't know what today's topic
> is."

qay'be'.

> tlhIngan Hol jatlhmeH laHwIj HochHom vISuqHa'pu'.
> "I have lost most of my ability to speak Klingon."

As peHruS pointed out a while ago, it's a good idea to use a verb prefix on
{jatlhmeH}.
{tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhmeH laHwIj HochHom...} "...most of my ability to speak
Klingon", or literally "...most of my ability-for-me-to-speak-Klingon"

> cha' mIwmey vIDuv, ghIq wa' mIw vIDoH.
> "I take two steps forward, then one step back."

{DoH} is defined as "back away from, back off, get away from". Since the
definition includes the word "from", the object of the verb is what you are
backing away from.
When people say "two steps forward, one step back", I imagine a person
walking forward, and then walking backwards. The Klingon word {mIw} means
the more abstract "step in process", so I don't know whether a Klingon would
understand what you mean.
One possible way to reword the phrase without using {mIw} might be:

{cha'logh jItlhetlh; ghIq wa'logh jItlhetlhHa'.} "I progress twice, and then
I un-progress once."

The verb suffix {-Ha'} seems like it would be good here, since you are
undoing the progress that you have made.

> DaH vIghojrupqa'
> "I am ready to begin learning again."

maj!

- taD