tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 20 12:15:19 2000

RE: Daj (2)

> > Qov:
> > > bu'vaD mIw DajchoHmoHlI' Suy - "The merchant is interesting the
> > > sergeant in a helmet."

De'vID:
> > nuqjatlh?  /mIw/ is obviously a typo for /mIvDaq/.

Qov:
> reH Suvrup SuvwI''a'.  mIw is a typo for mIv. If it were intended to be
> mIvDaq, we'd be looking at a cat-in-the-hat construction.

HIvqa' veqlargh!  cha' nuHIvchu'pu' veqlargh.  I misread your "sergeant
in a helmet" for "sergeant wearing a helmet".  Now I see that that
would be an English-ism.

What's the "cat-in-the-hat" construction?  I've heard of it before,
but I'm not clear what it is.  (Is this also called the "shuttle-craft
in which she fled" problem?)

> Had I meant that the merchant was eliciting a helmet-wearing
> sergeant's interest in herself, the merchant, I would have written:
>
> mIv tuQbogh bu'vaD Daj'eghchoHmoHlI' Suy
> "The merchant was making herself interesting, for the sake of the sergeant
> who wore a helmet."

Actually I thought you might have been going for "The merchant is
interesting the helmet-wearing-sergeant (in some unspecified item,
say a knife)".

i.e. /mIv tuQbogh bu'vaD (taj) DajchoHmoHlI' Suy/

But I see now that I was just thoroughly confused.  {{=/

--
De'vID