tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 18 09:05:57 2000

Re: Daj (2)

ghItlh lay'tel SIvten
> > "to be interesting" is intransitive and "to interest" is transitive; they
>  > aren't equivalents at all.
>
>  "to be interesting" is not just a verb; it's "to be" plus an adjective,
and
>  the adjective happens to be a form (present participle) of the transitive
>  verb "to interest".

That is true in English, but Klingon isn't English.  It has no form of the
verb "to be", and it has no participles.  For that matter, it has no simple
adjectives. What it has are descriptive verbs, which to the best of our
knowledge are intransitive, and which MO indicates by translating them with
the English phrase "to be X".

-- ter'eS

http://www.geocities.com/teresh_2000
http://www.geocities.com/weseb_2000