tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 08 05:05:35 2000

RE: [KLBC] jIja''egh

jatlh Tremal-Naik:

First, one comment on your subject line.. {jIja''egh} means "I tell myself".
Klingon doesn't have any specific way to say "about", as in "I tell about
myself". You could, however, say {jIDel'egh} "I describe myself" or
{jIlIH'egh} "I introduce myself".

> qaStaHvIS loS ben, QelDaq jIHtaH 'ej QonoS vIlaDtaH.

You don't need {qaStaHvIS} in this case. {loS ben} tells when your story
takes place, and so it can go alone at the beginning of the sentence.
For example, {cha'maH wa' ben jIbogh} "I was born 21 years ago."

It would be grammatically correct to say {qaStaHvIS loS DIS...}. However,
that would mean "While 4 years occurred", or "For 4 years". That would be a
very long wait at the doctor's office!

Also, {QelDaq jIHtaH} seems a little strange to me. You weren't actually at
the doctor, you were at the doctor's office. Perhaps you could say something
like:
{Qel yaHDaq jIHtaH} "I was at the doctor's duty station (office)"
{ropyaHDaq jIloStaH} "I was waiting at the sick bay"
{Qel vISuch} "I visited the doctor"

> tlhIngan *cdrom* QIj
> QonoSvam, vaj tlhIngan Hol vISov.

{Sov} means "to know" something or someone, not "to know about" it.
You could rephrase your sentence, and say "I knew that there is a Klingon
language": {tlhIngan Hol tu'lu' 'e' vISov}.
Which is made up of the sentences:
{tlhIngan Hol tu'lu'} "There is (a) Klingon language" Literally, "(A)
Klingon language is found"
and
{'e' vISov} "I know that"

> juH vISIchDI', *internet*Daq *KLI* vItu' 'ej vaj *TKD* vIje'.

The Klingon Dictionary describes {SIch} as "reach". However, in English,
"reach" can mean "stretch out to touch", and also can mean "to get to
something". You used {SIch} in the second way - {juH vISIchDI'} "When I
reached home/When I got home". We don't know whether {SIch} means "stretch
out" or "get to something" or both. So, {juH vISIchDI'} probably is ok, but
we aren't absolutely sure.
You could also say {juH vIcheghDI'} "When I returned to home".

> 'ach loS ben jIvumtaH 'ej tlhIngan Hol vIHaDchu'laHbe'.

Watch out for the suffix order here: {-chu'} is a type 6 verb suffix, and
{-laH} is a type 5 verb suffix. So {-laH} comes first:
{tlhIngan Hol vIHaDlaHchu'be'}

> DaH vIHaDqa' 'ej
> tlhIngan Hol vISov vIneH!

maj!

> *Max* *Massimiliano* joq 'oH pongwIj'e', *Italy*Daq jIyIntaH 'ej
> *Bologna* 'oH vengwI''e'.

The noun suffix {-wI'} is used for beings capable of language. {-wIj} is
used for other, non-talking beings. Although the people in your city can use
language, a city itself can't. So you want to say {vengwIj} "my city":
{*Bologna* 'oH vengwIj'e'}

> cha'maH vagh DIS vIghaj 'ej *University*Daq
> <<De'wI' QeD>> vIHaDtaH 'ej jIHaDbe'taHvIS De'wI' vItI' 'ej De'wI'
> vIchenmoH.

I understand what you're trying to say here.. Unfortunately, {cha'maH vagh
DIS vIghaj} doesn't work for "I'm 25 years old".  In Klingon, to tell your
age, you would say "I was born 25 years ago". This is where you would want
to use {ben}:
{cha'maH vagh ben jIbogh} "25 years ago, I was born"

Overall, a good introduction!
batlh qaD DaSIQta', Tremal-Naik/Max/Massimiliano. (Do you have a preference
of which name to use here?)
qaD luSIQvIp'a' latlhpu'? ;)

- taD

Back to archive top level