tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 04 19:48:02 2000

Re: KLBC: nuq as object

ghItlh taD
> jang Xardana:
>
>  > Additionally, if {nuq DaSop DaneH} is OK, would {nuq Sop puq neH SoSDaj}
>  > be
>  > OK too?  I got some argument from somebody.
>  >
>  Yep, {nuq Sop puq neH SoSDaj} is good also.

This looks odd to me.  As I understand it, <verb> + {neH} when both have the
same
subject (eg. {DaSop DaneH}) is legal for expressing "want to <verb>", but I
don't think the principal extends to phrases where the two verbs have
different subjects.
{puq} is serving here as the subject of {Sop} and the object of {neH}, and I
don't
think that's legal.  I read this sentence as "what does the child eat/the
mother
wants the child", if it means anything at all.

-- ter'eS

http://www.geocities.com/teresh_20000

Back to archive top level