tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 03 18:06:52 2000

Re: KLBC: nuq as object

In a message dated 9/3/2000 1:13:40 PM Central Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< As I understand it, some people feel that if the first sentence is a
 question, then when the second sentence refers back to it, it refers to the
 answer. So if someone was looking at it with this perspective, then they
 might interpret {nuq DaSop DaneH?} as "What do you eat? You want that"; or
 "You want whatever you eat" where "whatever you eat" is the answer to {nuq
 DaSop}. Since I'm not a proponent of this idea, my explanation here might
 not be the best one. Suffice to say, if you say {nuq DaSop DaneH}, a Klingon
 speaker would understand you.

 As often is the case in Klingon, you might prefer to be more direct and
 simply say
 {Soj DaneHbogh yIngu'!} - Identify the food/drink which you want!

Additionally, if {nuq DaSop DaneH} is OK, would {nuq Sop puq neH SoSDaj} be
OK too?  I got some argument from somebody.

Would I be forced to rearrange the sentence in Klingon and always make it a
command such as {Soj Sopbogh puq 'ej neHbogh SoSDaj yIngu'!}

This is getting complicated.

Xardana

Back to archive top level