tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 31 21:04:34 2000

RE: Grammar Highlight Each Day (gheD)

ja' Holtej:
>...You have to realize that
>because of the nature of the mailing list, people will not necessarily see
>your lessons as a series where each builds on the last, but can see them in
>isolation, in which they can be incomplete and confusing.

Indeed, that's exactly the warning that's been presented most times a
posted series of lessons was suggested.  A mailing list environment just
doesn't promote the kind of tutorial peHruS seems to be going for here.

I was expecting a "grammar highlight" to be more along the lines of:

- When the second verb of a Sentence As Object construction is {neH}, the
pronouns {'e'} and {net} are not used as its object (see TKD section 6.2.5,
pages 66-67).

- The noun conjunction {je} can be used following a verb, adding the idea
of "too" or "also" to the subject or object of the sentence (see TKD
section 5.3, page 55).

I think they should point out details that are exceptional cases, not
present the basic information about the language.

While I'm at it, I might as well mention that I'm *very* confused about the
use of {gheD} in the subject of these notes.  It sounds like it's intended
as a reference to the restaurant phrase {DaHjaj gheD} "catch of the day",
but the word {gheD} just means "prey".  The "daily" idea is carried by the
word {DaHjaj}.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level