tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 30 16:39:17 2000

Re: Klingon WOTD: ghuHmoH (v)

'etlhqengwI' asked:
> Perhaps a more modest idea, which I would love to see, would be to add
> to the Word of the Day a small example, showing the word used in a
> simple, "Dick and Jane" level sentence.  I think that would go a long
> way toward building vocabulary skills.

Well, simple "Dick and Jane" level sentences aren't all that helpful.
There are several such sentences in TKD, mainly variations of {puq / qama'
legh yaS} "The officer sees the child/prisoner".  Other than showing how
various affixes are used, these don't really tell you much about the word
in question.

I think it's more useful to show how Okrand has used the WOTD in canon.
Holtej sometimes has such entries in his database, but his coverage is
spotty.  I'll try to provide more examples where possible after the WOTD is
posted.

: Klingon word:   ghuHmoH
: Part of Speech: verb
: Definition:     alert, warn

  ropyaH yIghuHmoH!
  [Alert sick bay! (untransl.)] ST6

  Heghpu'bogh latlhpu' ghuHmoH bey. ghoS tlhIngan SuvwI' maq.
  This yell ... serves to warn the other dead that a Klingon
   warrior is coming. S31

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons