tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 10 12:03:59 2000

Re: KLBC Emperor

Since this isn't really a grammar question, I'll submit my cha' DeQ for
consideration.

ghaHbe'wI' wrote:

: Klingon has 2 different words for "Emperor": {ta'} and {voDleH}. As far as I
: know {voDleH} has never been used.

Actually, they both have in KGT:

  ta' Hol  "standard dialect" (KGT:14f). An abbreviation of...

  ta' tlhIngan Hol  "the Emperor's Klingon" (KGT:14f)

  voDleH Ha'DIbaH  "emperor's meat"

   "If the meat is somewhat older, a common preparation technique is
    to HaH (marinate) it in any of a wide variety of concoctions
    containing 'Iw (blood) and/or vIychorgh (sap) as a base, along
    with assorted animal parts. Meat prepared in this style is also
    called voDleH Ha'DIbaH (emperor's meat), again with the specific
    animal used instead of Ha'DIbaH; for example, voDleH lIngta'
    (emperor's lingta). (Presumably there was an emperor at one time
    who liked his meat prepared in this fashion.)" (KGT:90f)

: I was wondering why two words and which is the meaning difference, till I
: remembered that {ta'} is also "accomplishment, deed"... and that's great:
: the Emperor gets deeds, the Emperor accomplishes. And moreover {voDleH}
: shares the syllable {leH} with {betleH, meqleH, 'aqleH} so the militar
: origin of the Emperor is emphasized. Of course, just suggestions...

The difference may well be analogous to that of {SuvwI'} vs. {vaj} vs. {mang}
as described in KGT (p. 49f.).

My own pet theory is that {ta'} is used with names as a title, e.g. ?{qeylIS
ta'} "Emperor Kahless" - other ranks/titles are almost always one syllable -
while {voDleH} may correspond to the office of emperor, the idea of emperorship
in general, etc.

That, or {ta'} and {voDleH} are synonyms from different Klingon dialects (we
are told that the dialect of Klingon often changes with the emperor).

: Have any of you studied Latin? The word Emperor comes from "Imperator", and
: it was at first a title for honored soldiers. Of course, just a comment...

Latin *imperare* "to order, command" is Klingon {ra'}, giving us {ra'wI'}
"commander" (the job; the rank is {la'}).  Presumably an *imperator* was The
Commander, i.e. the most important one.  Analogously, in the 23rd century
(TOS), the commanding officer of a Klingon warship, as well as a few others
(e.g. Cdr. Kor, who was in charge of the occupation force of Organia), were
referred to as "commanders" in Federation Standard.  No doubt this was a
translation of {ra'wI'} and not their actual bureaucratic rank in the KDF.  By
the 24th century (TNG/DS9/VOY), the Federation's knowledge of the subtleties of
Klingon is much more advanced.

Or... perhaps {voDleH} was originally a name, like Latin *Caesar* which
developed into another word for emperor in addition to *imperator* particulary
in the Later Empire, eventually turning up as German *Kaiser* and Russian
*tsar'* (czar).

We've really no idea at this point.  This would be another good question for
Maltz.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons