tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 09 14:53:32 2000

Re: math questions / sums

ja' Voragh:
> It's been over two decades since I took high school calculus.  Could you give
> us an example of a *simple* summation - use "SUM" for the sigma symbol to
> ensure that everyone can read it in ASCII - followed by how an English-speaki
> ng
> mathematician would read the equation out aloud?  Then we could try to figure
> out how Maltz would recite it in Klingon.

a simple example:

  5
 SUM i
 i=1

I'm not exactly sure how it is read in _English_, but likely
close to "the sum of i, for i from one to five"

meaning (i=1) + (i=2) + (i=3) + (i=4) + (i=5) i.e. 1+2+3+4+5

a more formal example:

 i_max
  SUM   n_i = n_(i_min) + n_(i_min+1) + ... + n_(i_max-1) + n_(i_max)
i=i_min

where it is assumed that you have some way of knowing "what n_i is"
in some (not necessarily very specific) sense for all the indices
i_min <= i <= i_max that occur in the formula

                                           Marc Ruehlaender
                                           aka HomDoq
                                           [email protected]

Back to archive top level