tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 08 00:07:05 2000

IPA (was Re: KLBC Stress)

ja' ghaHbe'wI':
>Also, does anybody know if Klingon sounds can be written with IPA?

Klingon sounds *were* originally written with IPA.  Early on, however,
Okrand changed to the familiar Romanized transcription in order for the
actors to be able to read it without too much study.  The letter {I}
survives approximately intact from the original IPA version.

>I mean, how do we write phonetically the consonant {Q}, by instance?

That's been discussed before.  I think the most reasonable answer is that
it's an affricate that needs a pair of symbols to represent, a uvular stop
followed by a uvular fricative, but I can't remember which symbols those
are.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level