tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 02 08:31:44 2000

KLBC Stress

I'm tired to hear that music every time I boot Windows, so I've written a sentence to substitute that .wav, that sentence is

{ghaHbe'wI' yer Da'elpu' pagh Da'elta'. Qapla'.}

which I translate freely as

-You've entered <<who isn't>>'s domains purposely or accidentally. Success!

Please note the pun with {-pu'} and {-ta'}, in this case they emphasize that the action, "to enter", has been done deliberately or without meaning to do it.

But my doubt here is not about syntax, but about stress. I must pronounce this sentence and I'm not sure of where stressing the words. As a first attempt I put the stressed syllables between dashes

{ghaHb-e-'w-I-' yer Da'-e-lpu' pagh Da'-e-lta'. Qapl-a-'}

That is, both {-be'} and {-wI'} of {ghaHbe'wI'}; the verbal root {'el} of {Da'elpu'} and {Da'elta'}; and the last syllable of {Qapla'}. Should be {yer} also stressed? {ghaHbe'wI'} and {yer} form a noun-noun construction, and it's stated that the final noun of a compound has the main stress.

I read section 1.3 of TKD and Appendix II of Nick Nicholas' Hamlet. That's where I took the rules to stress in Klingon. Can someone help me to stress properly?

Also, does anybody know if Klingon sounds can be written with IPA? I mean, how do we write phonetically the consonant {Q}, by instance?

-ghaHbe'wI'

http://www.latinmail.com.  Gratuito, latino y en espaņol.

Back to archive top level