tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 07 10:43:43 2000

RE: Personal names and titles

Soa of Kenneth said:

> I am a new learner of Klingon although I read TKD about a year ago. I am
> trying
> to work out a signature to sign my emails with based on my current family
> name.
> My family name is McKenzie which translates to Son Of Kenneth. What I am
> after is the translation of    "Soa of the family (or house) of Kenneth".

Welcome to the list, Soa! I'm taD, the Beginner's Grammarian. It's my job to
help beginners here with Klingon. You can add the "KLBC" to your message's
subject line whenever you want me to check your work or have a question for
me about Klingon. If you're a little unsure whether you said something
properly in Klingon, you can also include what you were trying to say, in
English. This will make it easier for me to make sure that you say what you
are trying to say.

The FAQ has some comments on choosing a name:
http://higbee.cots.net/~holtej/klingon/faq.htm#2.3

If you wanted to say "Soa, of the house of Kenneth", you could use "Soa,
Kenneth tuq" ("Soa, House of Kenneth"). You also might want to rewrite "Soa"
and "Kenneth", with Klingon sounds. For example, Klingon doesn't have a "th"
or a "k" sound, so a Klingon might pronounce it as {So'a, qennItlh tuq} or
something similar. But the final choice of your name is up to you, and you
can spell it however you want.

{tuq} is the word for "house, tribe, ancestral unit", and appears in the
book _Klingon for the Galactic Traveler_, by Marc Okrand. In addition to
TKD, Klingon for the Galactic Traveler (KGT) also is a very good source of
information on Klingon, and has new vocabulary that doesn't appear in TKD.

- taD

Back to archive top level