tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 13 10:38:37 2000

RE: KLBC: QoQ wanI'

jatlh quS'a'Qob, qa'rIl puqloD:
> loSleS, QoQ'e' qonpu'bogh <Philip Glass> vIQoymeH QoQ wanI'Daq jIH.

taD:
: The last part ({QoQ wanI'Daq jIH} "I'll be at a music event") sounds a
: little odd to me, though. You aren't using a normal verb, but instead are
: using the pronoun "I" as "to be".  To me, this focuses on the fact that
: you'll be located there, rather than that you are doing anything specific
: there.  It's grammatically correct,

Not quite.  When using a pronoun-as-verb to give a temporary location, you need
to add the suffix {-taH}.  E.g.:

  pa'Daq jIHtaH
  I'm in the room. (TKD:27)

  pa'wIjDaq jIHtaH
  I am in my quarters. TKD

  pa'DajDaq ghaHtaH la''e'
  The commander is in his quarters. TKD

You omit {-taH} when using the pronoun-as-verb as a copula or when giving an
identification (e.g. tlhIngan maH!).  Thus one would say:

  DaH Duj ra'wI' ghaH Qugh HoD'e'.
  Capt. Kruge is the ship's current commanding officer.

but

  DaH DujDaq ghaHtaH Qugh HoD'e'.
  Capt. Kruge is now aboard the ship.

: but I personally would have said something like:
:   {QoQ wanI' vISuch} "I'll visit a music event"
: or
:   {QoQ wanI' vIghoS} "I'll go to a music event"

We have another word: {much} "presentation" with the default understanding
apparently being that it is a *musical* performance since in KGT the verb
{much} is glossed as "present, perform (music)" and a {muchwI'} is a
"musician".  So we can say simply:

  muchDaq jIHtaH.
  I'll be at a performance (concert, show, etc.).

  muchDaq jISaH.
  I'll attend ("be present") a concert.

--
Voragh