tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 06 17:16:30 2000

Re: warriors anthem

gheHpu' wrote:

: For some reson My ISP isn't working verry well, I know that there is a
: section in the FAQ that has the words to the warriors anthem, could
: anybody just go there do a little cut and past and e-mail those words to
: me?

Not from the FAQ, but from my old notes (I can't guarantee that the links
still work) but here you go:

                                   WARRIOR'S  ANTHEM

This song first appeared in the Klingon CD-ROM and was later sung twice
(with subtitles) in the DS9 episode "Soldiers of the Empire." Here are the
Closed Captions, screenful by screenful, exactly as they were broadcast
(this phonetic transcription is presumably the version the actors saw in
the script):

First, as they enter warp at the start of their mission:

  [Worf begins by pounding fist rhythmically on console]

    KOI KEH LESS POOK LOAD

  [Dax joins in]

    KOI POOK BEH POO
    YOCH BOW MATH BOW JE SHUV WEE
    SAY MOACH CHU MAY EW
    MAH SHOOV MAH NONG EJ MA CHOCH CHEW

  [crew joins in]

    NEE BEH YIN MAHJ ACH WOV COO
    BATH MA CHETH BEJJ EJ YO KEEJ
    DAHK VAV POO MA DEE MUV
    PA RECH MA SHOOV TACH KOO
    MA MEV KO MA SHOOV TACH MA OV

    KOI KEH LESS POOK LOAD
    KOI POOK BEH POO...

  [fade out]

Second, as the crew prepares to cross the Cardassian border:

  [Tavana begins by pounding fist rhythmically on console]

    KOI KEH LESS POOK LOAD

  [All]

    KOI POOK BEH POO
    YOCH BOW MATH BOW JE SHUV WEEE
    SAY MOACH CHU MAY EW...

  [Martok orders, "Mahk-cha!" (Engage)]

    MAH SHOOV MAH NONG EJ MA CHOCH CHEW
    NEE BEH YIN MAHJ ACH WOV, COO!
    BATH MA CHETH BEJJ EJ YO KEEJ DAHK
    VAV POO MA DEE MUV PA RECH MA SHOOV TACH
    KOO MA MEV KO MA SHOOV TACH MA OV

  [laughter]

    KOI KEH LESS POOK LOAD
    KOI POOK BEH POO
    YOCH BOW MATH BOW JE SHUV WEEE
    SAY MOACH CHU MAY EW
    MAH SHOOV MAH NONG
    EJ MA CHOCH CHEW
    NEE BEH YIN MAHJ ACH WOV, COO!
    BATH MA CHETH BEJJ EJ YO KEEJ DAHK
    VAV POO MA DEE MUV PA RECH MA SHOOV TACH
    KOO MA MEV KO MA SHOOV TACH MA OV.

  [fade out]

KCD executive producer Keith Halper explains how the song was written:

"The way that was that Hilary [Bader] wrote something in English, then she
faxed it out to Mark Okrand. Then Okrand translated it to Klingon and put
his literal translation below the Klingon verses. The literal translation
is always skewed a bit, so if you send him `Row, row, row your boat,'
you'll get back `Propel, propel, propel your craft.'" (STK: 212)

Curiously, the anthem does not appear in Klingon for the Galactic Traveler
but is featured (I'm told) somewhere in the four-book Day of Honor series.
I found this version of the "never-before-published lyrics" in English and
Klingon at Simon & Schuster's Day of Honor page back in September or
October of 1997:

	http://www.simonsays.com/titles/honor

Another copy, plus a literal translation by Okrand, is at:

	http://www.simonsays.com/titles/0671009958/excerpt2.html

To hear a "RealAudio" recording (labeled "wo' bom") of the anthem from
"Soldiers of the Empire," visit:

	www2.rpa.net/~cheesbro

The sheet music can be found at:

	http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/2249/anthem.html

Hilary Bader's lyrics, c1997:

Hear! Sons of Kahless.
Hear! Daughters too.
The blood of battle washes clean
The Warrior brave and true.
We fight, we love, and then we kill.
Our lives burn short and bright,
Then we die with honor and join our fathers in the Black Fleet where
we battle forever, battling on through the Eternal fight.

Okrand's translation:

Qoy qeylIs puqloD.
Qoy puqbe'pu'.
yoHbogh matlhbogh je SuvwI'
Say'moHchu' may' 'Iw.
maSuv manong 'ej maHoHchu'.
nI'be' yInmaj 'ach wovqu'.
batlh maHeghbej 'ej yo' qIjDaq vavpu'ma' DImuv.
pa' reH maSuvtaHqu'.
mamevQo'.  maSuvtaH.  ma'ov.

Okrand's literal back-translation:

Hear! sons of Kahless.
Hear! daughters.
The battle blood perfectly cleans the warrior who is brave and loyal.
We fight, we're passionate, and we kill perfectly.
Our lives are not long, but they're very bright.
We certainly die, and we join our fathers in the Black Fleet.
There we always really continue fighting.
We won't stop.  We continue fighting.  We compete.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level