tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 05 13:45:32 2000

Re: KLBC Did I do it right?

That makes sense, I just asumed that he/she/it would only be used if the object
was a thing,  But we just lerned in english about abstract nouns so now it mekes
a lot more sense.
(oops, my name on this mesage was a typo, it should be gheHpu', thanks for
pointing that out)

"Stauffer, Tad E (staufte7)" wrote:

> gheHpu' said
>
> > At startrek.com they have a colom were you can ask "the klingon
> > ambasiter to earth" questions. I said "tlhIngon Hol bIjatlh'a'"  I
> > intended to say do you speek klingon or do you speak the klingon
> > languge.  Is that the right way to say that.
> >
> There's a minor spelling mistake - the Klingon word for "klingon" is
> {tlhIngan}, with an {a} at the end.
>
> Also, there's a problem with the verb prefix {bI-} here. If you look on the
> chart at the top of page 33 of TKD, you'll find the verb prefixes. The
> prefixes tell you who is doing the action in a sentence (i.e., the subject
> of the verb), and they also tell who is receiving the action (i.e., the
> object of the verb).
> In the sentence "Do you speak Klingon?", the person doing the action is
> "you". The person/thing that is being acted on is "the Klingon language", or
> "it".
> So to find the correct prefix, you would look on the chart where it has
> "you" as the subject, and "him/her/it" as the object. So the prefix you want
> in this case is {Da-}:
>
> {tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh'a'?} "Do you speak Klingon?"
>
> If the Klingon ambassador already knew you were talking about the Klingon
> language, you could just say:
> {Dajatlh'a'?} "Do you speak it?"
> What if you use the prefix {bI-} instead, like you did before? If you look
> on the chart, you will find that {bI-} indicates "you" is the subject, but
> the object is listed as "none". In other words, the object is not known or
> there isn't one. So {bIjatlh'a'?} would mean "Do you speak?"
>
> > gheH'pu
> >
> You said before that you wanted the name {gheHpu'}, so just make sure you
> spell it consistently. :-) Remember that the {'} is just as important as the
> other letters in a Klingon word.
>
> - taD

Download Now     http://www.netzero.net/download/
Request a CDROM  1-800-333-3633