tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 04 15:21:57 2000

RE: Dangerous pun?

toH!

Why is all this pun issue sounding like an ink blot test?  Have you ever
seen shapes in clouds? I think this is more or less what is going on in
here.

Let's remember that thlIngan Hol has fewer sounds most "natural" languages
(I know... Hawaiian has even less consonants... you could actually do with
even fewer vowels... well we've all heard that but we all like our Klingon
to sound Klingon).  Asking MO to check if every single new word can be
interpreted as a racial slur is a bit too much... probability laws do not
take holidays, so you are bound to find Klingon words that sound like
offensive words in some other language.  The more languages you take into
consideration, the more similarities you would find.

Considering that there are some of us who speak languages other than
English... can you imagine how difficult it would be to run through the
whole Klingon dictionary looking for unpleasant similarities with Spanish,
Italian, Portuguese, Kaqchikel, Swedish, Navaho, Japanese, Esperanto, etc?
Would it be useful? Would it be fun?

However, it is a good thing someone brought this up... as far as I can see,
the whole Klingon-speaking community has a legitimate intention not to be
offensive to anyone and  that is GOOD.

Juan Pablo Pira

Back to archive top level