tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 23 14:13:10 2000

Re: negating a comparative

In a message dated 11/22/2000 5:36:31 PM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> "My fingernails are not longer than my nose."  It does ignore the
> possibility that they are the same size, of course.

Thanks for the answers about negating a comparison.  I am not clear yet,
after a panel at qep'a' vaghDIch, about saying "the same quality as..."
Obviously, we have constructions is {rur}.  Sometimes this construction does
not feel complete.  Just because one resembles another, I usually don't get
the feeling that they are the same quality.

Hopefully, MO will reveal more that will clear this up.

peHruS

Back to archive top level