tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 31 20:06:58 2000

RE: (KLBC) Use of {-vaD}

I think the most culturally appropriate way to say, "I think that Mara is
beautiful," in Klingon is to say {'IH mara'.} Let's not be vague, wittering
and indecisive here. We don't have to say {'IHlaw' mara'} or {'IH mara' 'e'
vIQub} (which might be better stated {'IH mara' 'e' vIHar}). Just say {'IH
mara'.}

In this case, I think that the Klingon sense of deixis sufficiently covers
this mamby-pamby Human reflex to politely soften the opinion by openly
stating what is already obvious: Anything you say is your opinion. A Klingon
knows this. Why be redundant by stating it?

In English, if I say, "I was here last night," the implied deixis tells us
that the person speaking was at the place the person speaking now is
standing on the previous night. You don't have to say, "I was here, where I
am now standing, last night." That's redundant. "Here" already means "where
I am now standing". So when I say, "Mara is beautiful", I'm already implying
that this is my opinion. I don't have to restate that by saying, "to me" or
"in my opinion" or "from my perspective". What other perspective would you
be speaking from, if not your own?

In fact, if I honestly believed that Mara was beautiful in the kind of
universal way that steps beyond "I think that Mara is beautiful," then I'd
probably say something like {'IHchu' mara' net Sov.} Now, I've explicitly
expanded the deictic reference to make this a universal statement intended
to imply that anyone would believe this, rather than the more typical case
where one states one's own opinion boldly and lets the world decide whether
to agree and accept a free drink at the bar, or disagree and start mu'qaD
veS, a food fight or something more dire and dangerous, probably involving
sharp, pointy blades, bludgeons or energy weapons that don't have "stun"
among the available configuration settings.

charghwI' 'utlh