tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 15 06:05:52 2000

RE: Translation

> Joseph L. Cosgriff wrote:
> > Can anyone tell me how to translate -
> >
> > Dark Son  or  Son of Darkness
>
> De'vID:
> : My first reaction was /puq Hurgh/, but this is a bad idea.

Voragh:
> Good call, since "dark son" is actually {puqloD Hurgh}, while {puq Hurgh}
> is "dark child".

D'oh!  (That should be a legal replacement proverb, IMHO. =) )

> : There is a homophony in Klingon between /Hurgh/ "be dark",
> : and /Hurgh/ "pickle (cucumber)".  So /puq Hurgh/ could
> : mean either "dark son", or "son's cucumber".
>
> So you would never use {Hurgh} "be dark"?  Due to the homophony,
> the pickle
> option is almost always an option--and almost always that option is
> gibberish.

But in this particular case?  This is to be a name for a Klingon
warrior!  Imagine being called "son's cucumber" in battle!

> Interesting options but, again, the Klingon word for "son" is {puqloD} -
> "man-child" as it were.  Note that due to the homophony that so troubles
> De'vID, {puqloD} could also be misinterpreted in speech (if not
> writing) as "child's man".  But then the experienced Klingon speaker
> knows to filter out that option.

But one could hardly use the homophone /puq-loD/ as an insult.
The speaker is always either a /puqloD/ or a /puqbe'/ himself
or herself.

--
De'vID