tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 14 10:37:23 2000

Re: translation comments

> > When I'm born - "coordinates": Earth orbits our sun
> > resembles
> > When happens - "coordinates": Earth orbits our sun
>
> "The earth's coordinates while orbiting our sun when my birthday occurs
> resembles the earth's coordinates while orbiting our sun when I was born."
>
> Not exactly a beginners' sentence.

and I think the Klingon was really more confusing than it needed
to be... let me show you why I think so.

First, I quote what DloraH wrote:

jIboghDI' Hov'a'maj bavtaHvIS tera' Quv'e'
rur  qaSDI' qoSwIj  Hov'a'maj bavtaHvIS tera' Quv'e'.

now let me read it:

jIboghDI'                   when I was born
Hov'a'maj bavtaHvIS tera'   while earth orbits our STAR
Quv'e'                      as for the coordinates...

rur                         they resembles them

qaSDI' qoSwIj               when my birthday happens.
?? a subordinate clause after the verb ?? must be a new sentence then...
but all that follows is another subordinate clause and another
isolated noun...

I don't know if we have canon evidence that -taHvIS and -DI'
clauses can modify nouns, but even if we do, I don't know
what you mean by "coordinates while earth orbits our STAR"

or by "coordinates of earth while something orbits our STAR"

do you see how this is confusing?

qaSDI' latlh qoSwIj, latlh bavtaHghach gho ta' tera'.

I'm not saying this is the best way to say this, considering
I had to use -ghach, but at least it's less confusing.
I think it's pretty obvious what Earth orbits by default.
"circle of orbiting" may not be very clear.

                                           Marc Ruehlaender
                                           aka HomDoq
                                           [email protected]

Back to archive top level