tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 10 08:43:36 2000

RE: KLIC: Monty Python bom much Eric Idle

since this is STILL KLIC...

ja' tuv'el

>I think that my ineptitude with the language has caused some confusion.
>Here's what I meant:
>
>> Monty Python bommey much Eric Idle
>	"Eric Idle sings the songs of Monty Python."

jIyajchu'

>> muchmeH wa'Hu' ngeng na' veng ghoS Eric Idle.
>	"Eric Idle came to Salt Lake City to perform yesterday [May 7]."

"in order for him to perform music, yesterday Eric Idle approached salty
lake city"
I would have written: wa'Hu' *Salt Lake City*Daq much *Eric Idle*. There is
an ambiguity with the timestamp <wa'Hu'>. Did he arrive yesterday or perform
yesterday or both? If he arrived yesterday and performed yesterday, then I
would separate the sentence into two saying:
   wa'Hu' *Salt Lake City*Daq paw *Eric Idle*. ramvetlh much.
If he only performed yesterday but you don't know when he arrived, I would
write only about the know facts:
   wa'Hu' *Salt Lake City*Daq much *Eric Idle*.

Also, I never try to translate proper names. I took a few readings to get
Salt Lake City from <ngeng na' veng>.

>> much wIjaH jupwI' jIH je.
>	"My friend and I went to the performance."

jIyajchu'

>>  matIv'eghchu'.
>	"We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves."

In my mind, "ourselves" doesn't sound right. The simple sentence:
<wItIvchu'> says it all in one nice neat little package. (Notice I used the
we-it instead of the we-none implying the show as the unstated object given
the context of the conversation.)

>> noybogh Monty Python muchHommey law' wIlegh 'ej noybogh bommeychaj law'
>> wIQoy je.
>	"We saw many popular Monty Python skits, and heard many of their
>popular songs also."

noy - "famous, well known". I wouldn't have thought to translate this to
mean popular. Also, and I'm not entirely sure about this... but shouldn't
that be <DIlegh> and <DIQoy> since you are talking about plural objects?

>> QaHmeH lutu'lu' latlh muchwI'pu', latlh bomwI'pu' je.
>	"Other performers and singers were there to help."

This sentence was definitely not right. What's the <lutu'lu'> doing there? I
would have just written:
    *Eric Idle* lutlhej latlh muchwI'pu' bomwI'pu' je.

>> <Australiavo' Brucepu'>, <Dolly Turner, Vaginettepu' je>, <chej mI'>,
>> <chej joH>, <Los AngelesDaq Getty Hew qach lut, bom je> je much chaH.
>	"They performed the 'Australian Bruces', 'Dolly Turner and the
>Vaginettes', 'Liverdance', 'Lord of Liver', and 'The story and song of the
>Getty museum in Los Angeles'.

jIyajchu'

>> maHaghchu'!
>	"We really laughed!"

isn't it funny how this means so much more that the English can convey...

>> <Huch bom>, <potlhqu' Hoch sperm>, <Chinangan vIparHa'>, <qabwIjDaq
>> yIba'>, <bID ghew ghaH Eric'e'>, <qIb bom>, <rop bang bom>, <reH yIn Dop
>> wov yInej>, lumberjack bom> je bom chaH.
>	"They sang the 'Money song', 'Every sperm is sacred', 'I like
>Chinese', 'Sit on my face', 'Eric the half a bee', 'The galaxy song', 'The
>medical love song', 'Always look on the bright side of life,' and 'The
>lumberjack song'."

hmmmm. lumberjack... <Sor Hap pe'wI'> or <ngem pe'wI'>.

plus, wov concerns photonic energy, I think the jist of the song is look at
the good or happy aspects of life... <reH yIn Doch...> yuck. See why I don't
try to translate names?

>> pIj mawup!
>	"We frequently burst into song!"

jIyajchu'

>> matlheDpa' wISuq pongDaj ghItlh.
>	"Before we left, we got his autograph."

you have the object in the wrong place. (OVS) I have seen others use <qI'>
for this, but there doesn't seem to be a good way to express "autograph".
So, I would recast:
matlheDpa', maHvaD pongDaj ghItlh *Eric Idle*.

>> wa'les PortlandDaq muchDaj veb 'oH.
>	"His next performance will be tomorrow [May 9] in Portland."

jIyaj.

This is not expressed in verbal terms. Remember Klingon is verb based, not
noun based.
    wa'leS *Portland*Daq much *Eric Idle*.
Simple and to the point.

>> Monty Python botIvchugh Eric Idle boparHa'chugh muchDaj bojaHnIS.
>	"If you enjoy Monty Python [or] like Eric idle, you need to go to
>his performance.

missed the conjunction? otherwise jIyaj.

>	Say'IluD:
>> muDuq bommeyvam. vIQubDI' loQ jIHagh.
>	Translation: "These songs touch {stab} me.  When I think about them,
>I laugh a little."

The intent here was "chuckle" or "giggle", but I have no idea how to express
those concepts except using the adverb <loQ>. For those that don't
understand the "stab" reference, it is from KGT and means something akin to
"you killin' me!" or "stop it, I'm dyin'!"

>> muDuQbej je.  ghIq chejwIj teq.
>	"They stabbed me too.  Then, they removed my liver."  [This line was
>supposed to be a joke.]

jIyaj 'ej jIHagh. tlhaQ!

you need a <lu-> on the <teq> though. "they removed my liver" needs a
they-it prefix.

>	I'm sorry to have caused such confusion.  I'm heading back to KLBC
>now. >:-)

Say'IluD
vIt, batlh, yIn

Back to archive top level